Listening to Sounds

Crunch-unch. Crunch-unch-unch.

          Peering over my shoulder, I gaze at a shrubbery, a dense one, wondering of the noise’s origin. It seems to come from behind the bush, and it grows louder as my other senses shut off. Crunch, crack, crunch. Some creature is shifting or treading the loose leaves.  Maybe searching for something? Exploring?

          Suddenly, a brilliantly blue colored bird emerges from behind its cover, hopping about the forest floor. It does not seem to notice me as it continues poking the leaves to see what secrets lie beneath.

          This sounds like the biting of a potato chip to me. With 10,000 tiny cracks condensed into only a second, the fulfilling crunch of chip or leaf brings a feeling of completion with it. The satisfying taste of nacho cheese that follows is not with me now, but the music of the air traveler curiously exploring the forest floor brings me the same joy.

Crunch, shhhift, crunch.

          For the next few minutes I just watch the bird hop around. With every jump, I try to keep the crunching leaf sound resonating in my head as long as possible. It is not a disturbing sound, temporarily depriving the forest of harmony; rather it is a relaxing sound. The sound itself causes one to perk up and listen, while the silent after-period lets one calm down. This cycle gives the forest a melodious, swaying effect. Crunch. Silence… Crunch. Silence… The bird unknowingly captivates me with its movements. I notice nothing else as the bird hops about, breaking leaves one… by… one.

 ~ Caleb Rogers